Success can be measured in many ways when it comes to teaching band. Here are just some of the measures that often define success in a band program:
- There are many students participating in the band program.
- The students are successfully performing a variety of challenging repertoire.
- The students are engaged in their learning and gaining musical skills and understanding.
- The students are performing on a regular basis and concerts are well-attended.
- The band room has a feeling of community.
- The bands are receiving awards or accolades at music festivals and competitions.
- The students are developing a life-long passion for music and music-making.
Most band teachers would agree that all of these measures are worthy in and of themselves and with effective planning and implementation they are all very possible.