How to Share 1. At the top of your document, click Share.
2. In the Share with others screen, enter the email address of the person you want to share the file with.
3. Next to the person’s email, click on the little pencil icon . Choose what the person can do:
- Can edit. The person can make changes directly in your document, as well as leave comments.
- Can comment. The person can’t edit the document but can leave suggested edits and comments.
- Can view. The person can just view the file and can’t edit or leave comments.
4. (Optional) To send an email to the person, in the Add a note section, enter your message.
5. Click Send.
The person gets an email with a link to your Google Docs file. It opens in their web browser, and they can see the document and make changes (if they have Edit or Comment permission), even if you’re still in it yourself. Any changes appear in real time. If you want to receive a copy of the note you’re going to send, click on the little “Advanced” link at the bottom right of the Share panel and enter the your note there. Be sure to check the box for “send a copy to myself.” (Otherwise, you will not have any record of what you sent, as the message doesn’t go through Gmail.) Alternatively, you can send other people a link to your file so anyone on the internet with the link can use it. When you share a link to a file, your name will be visible as the owner of the file.
- At the top right of the open document, click the blue Share button. Then click “Get shareable link.”
- Next to “Anyone with the link,” click the Down arrow and select view, comment, or edit files.
- Copy and paste the link in an email or any place you want to share it.